Barcode question - Interleaved 2 of 5

Discussions related to our free online utilities, such as free qr code maker and online barcode generator. Free utilities such as pdf417decode are also supported here.

Re: Barcode question - Interleaved 2 of 5

Postby glitch on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm

For those manufacturing coupons you need to talk to the retailer first. Retailers need to enter the code into their POS systems.
The information above is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby thecanadian on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:43 pm

glitch, so Canadian vouchers are not alike to American vouchers because canadian ones are encoded? Because american ones from what I've noticed have sections of the barcode which determine, Company prefix, Family code, and Value(price off); but Canadian coupons do not consist of this?
Sorry about all the questions, I know I could pay a company to create vouchers for our comp. but I would rather produce them on my own seeing as I know a good amount about barcodes and love learning new things :)

Another question is, I have been looking at your pdf417 decoder, now is that for decoding any type of barcode images? Because that would come in handy at home when I don't have a access to a barcode scanner.
thecanadian

Postby glitch on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am

There are many types of coupon barcodes. The simplest form is to code a number that goes into POS. In the US GS1 is prompting databar coupon (http://mdn.morovia.com/kb/10611) which encodes more info and can be distributed alone. The image is look like this:

You can certainly produce barcodes with our software once you know what want.

For decoders, we are still working on it; expect to release some type of barcode reading software by the end of year.
The information above is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby thecanadian on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 pm

That explains a lot. Yeah I would love to see a program which can decode barcode images from your desktop since it would come in handy and I have this site bookmarked so I'll make sure to try it out once its made :)

In the mean time glitch, do you know of any good but inexpensive cordless barcode scanners which could scan, and produce the digits of any type of barcode symbology for at home use? I want to get started on testing the barcodes I produce using the online barcode gen :mrgreen:
thecanadian

Postby thecanadian on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:40 pm

any cheap ones you might suggest for me to buy glitch, for home?
thecanadian

Postby glitch on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am

I suggest that you buy a barcode scanner. Barcode scanner gives you authoritative results considering that so many "free barcode online generator" in the Internet.

You can get a decent linear barcode reader at $50 at ebay.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby thecanadian on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29 am

glitch wrote:I suggest that you buy a barcode scanner. Barcode scanner gives you authoritative results considering that so many "free barcode online generator" in the Internet.

You can get a decent linear barcode reader at $50 at ebay.

yes I was thinking that, but was hoping that you know a particular one that you would suggest to me since you know a lot more then me :)
thecanadian

Previous

Return to Online Utilities and Free Programs