Shift tab?

General discussion about Morovia barcode fonts, OCR/MICR fonts and postal fonts.

Shift tab?

Postby Jensen(Legacy Member) on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:03 am

I have a situation where I am populating a window with a few numbers scanned in from a barcode. Currently, I am using 93S. Because of the layout of the form, the barcode must include the tab character to place the scanned numbers in the correct input box (the boxes are not in sequential tab order in the window.)

An example of what I am using is:

[C@I@I@I@I@I305.16@I@I@I@I01990071900001051Z6]|

The @I's being the tab.

I've now ran into the situation where I need to actually do a reverse tab (a shift tab) to move the cursor BACKWARDS through the tab cycle. Trying to go forward through the cycle uses too many Tab characters and makes the bar codes excessively long. Is a shift tab even possible? Could any Morovia font's do this?

Thanks
Jensen(Legacy Member)

Re: Shift tab?

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:08 pm

The translation between the ASCII value input and the function key is up to the scanner. Look up your scanner's manual for find about if it supports SHFT+TAB or Left Cursor.

In the scanner manual I have (QS2500), the Left cursor function key is mapped to ASCII value 3. Consequently scanning the barcode produces a left cursor movement.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby Jensen(Legacy Member) on Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:24 am

Glitch, thanks for your reply.

I can't seem to find a solution in the scanner manual as you mentioned. Here is a link: http://supportcenteronline.com/dmfiles/ ... _Guide.pdf

First off, a left cursor won't do the job. The cursor needs to bounce backwards one text field, not one character, so this doesn't help. I searched high and low for a way to send a shift+tab, and have so far come back empty handed.

I have tried something along the lines of:

[C@I@I@I@I@I305.16@O@I@I@I@I@N019900719000010518Q]|

You'll notice the @O and @N that are wrapped around the tab characters (@I). @O is the ascii character code "Shift In" while @N is "Shift Out". In Code 93 using this designation is supposed to send those respective codes to the barcode scanner. I found that it doesn't seem to work as I would have hoped. That code does not send the wrapped TAB's shifted, so to speak.

Not being an ASCII character guru I'm not quite sure if I'm even using the shift in and shift out correctly, perhaps you would know more?
Jensen(Legacy Member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:24 am

If the scanner manual does not mention the function key mapping, the scanner does not support it. Even they do, most scanners only support predefined mapping and it is unlikely that shift-tab is mapped to an ASCII value.

A common misconception is that you can enter a function key by scanning the barcode encoding a control character. This is at least not true on Windows platform. The Windows requires more than an ASCII value to map to a function key.

If you are using a serial port (RSC232) interface, you can find some "wedge" programs on the Internet which capture the input and convert to the format you desire. Many such programs support converting an ASCII value into function keys.
glitch (legacy member)

Return to General Discussion