Barcode question - Interleaved 2 of 5

Discussions related to our free online utilities, such as free qr code maker and online barcode generator. Free utilities such as pdf417decode are also supported here.

Barcode question - Interleaved 2 of 5

Postby RosIs on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:34 am

This is a question thats not really about sales, but I was looking upon a barcode forum and I thought maybe you guys would be the best to solve my problem.

Now canada uses Interleaved 2 of 5 for products/coupons right? Now I have been experimenting with Interleaved 2 of 5 recently but I cannot understand
the problems I'm getting after using online barcode generators for this type of symbology. For example I attached an image I was testing with(if you want me to upload it a website I would be happy to) now after trying to replicate the barcode I cannot match it correctly, like I normally do after testing barcodes with other symbology, such as
EAN-13 or UPC-A/E ect.. Interleaved 2 of 5 is confusing me so much!

Is the text underneath the barcode false? Or am I just doing something wrong? http://www.morovia.com/free-online-barcode-generator/ That is the online generator
I am using but the outputted barcode image DOES NOT MATCH the barcode I'm testing it on(which is attached).

barcodeproblem.jpg
barcodeproblem.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 1317514 times

Please help, I thought I had a really great understanding of barcodes, til I tried Interleaved 2 of 5 =(

Regards,

Kevin
RosIs

Re: Barcode question - Interleaved 2 of 5

Postby glitch on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:42 am

Kevin,

The human readable text in your attached barcode is incorrect. the text encoded is 31280756.

See the image created by our free online barcode generator:

interleaved-2-of-5-by-free-online-barcode-generator.png
interleaved-2-of-5-by-free-online-barcode-generator.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 1318263 times
The information above is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby thecanadian on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:07 am

hey glitch, thanks for the reply to my question. One of the moderators posted it for me since I wasn't a member at the time :mrgreen:

How did you get so good at recognizing what the bars were without even needing the numbers that are normally correct underneath every barcode??? Thats amazing. I know how to create UPC barcodes myself (i know, its not that amazing lol), but I'll probably never know what an interleaved 2of5 barcode meant just by looking at the bars :shock:

I know it's a big step, but do you possibly have any resources I can read through to teach me the guidelines for product labeling with interleaved 2 of 5? Its the only barcode symbology that is impossible for me to find resources on lol.

Glad I finally found a forum primarily about barcodes, and not like 200 other categories all in one site haha
thecanadian

Postby glitch on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 am

Actually knowing what is encode is easy - just use a scanner to read the barcode.

to find out the barcode format is a little harder. We have a KB article 10623 that addresses that.
The information above is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby thecanadian on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 pm

glitch wrote:Actually knowing what is encode is easy - just use a scanner to read the barcode.

to find out the barcode format is a little harder. We have a KB article 10623 that addresses that.

Thanks glitch, I read through the article but it still has not answered my question about product labeling. I'm confusing at times so let me word it differently :D

After I apply my company for a GS1 company prefix (companies still in the making), where do I put my company prefix and item reference number in the interleaved 2of5 barcode? Thats what I was having trouble understanding, because I can't find a single piece of info on that. Plenty of info on the other barcode sym. but not this one :?: strange
thecanadian

Postby thecanadian on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 pm

glitch all the products I've seen throughout canada use interleaved 2of5 correct? Unless it's something else, because recently I read that I2of5 is used only on shipping containers :!:

now I'm just wicked confused haha :?
thecanadian

Postby glitch on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:17 pm

thecanadian wrote:
After I apply my company for a GS1 company prefix (companies still in the making), where do I put my company prefix and item reference number in the interleaved 2of5 barcode? Thats what I was having trouble understanding, because I can't find a single piece of info on that. Plenty of info on the other barcode sym. but not this one :?: strange

I think that you are talking about SCC-14, GTIN numbers. You can find some info on KB10600.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby thecanadian on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:11 pm

I don't think so glitch. The picture I attached to my first post was from a product label. I'm pretty sure it was indeed I20f5 or something similar.

I'll attach another picture in case I may be wrong. Any idea what companies like this are using?

attached pic
Attachments
ritterfood.jpg
thecanadian

Postby glitch on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 am

I believe that the barcode encodes a coupon code. The barcode is scanned at POS and is matched against the one in the coupon database. It is not a product code.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby thecanadian on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:17 am

oh ok because I had trouble in recognizing it.

How would I go about creating an encoded voucher coupon for a small business? I could use UPC or EAN but these encoded coupon codes seem more modern and preventive of theft.
thecanadian

Next

Return to Online Utilities and Free Programs