Deploying DLL

Anything related to Barcode ActiveX programming

Deploying DLL

Postby christopher.k(legacy member) on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:26 pm

I'm trying to deploy an application using the Barcode ActiveX Control.

The application is written in Powerbuilder and run from a network location, so there's no installer with which to register the MrvBarCd.dll. What I've done instead is use a scripting language tool to copy the DLL to the Windows SYSTEM32 folder, and run the REGSVR32 command line to register the DLL.

It all runs successfully. The DLL appears, I've verified the REGSVR32 command succeeds (and have even run it from the command line myself to verify its being run), but the application fails every time it tries to reference the DLL. If I run the Retail installation, the application works fine. Is there something the control is expecting to show it as being registered, or am I getting the wrong DLL?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
christopher.k(legacy member)

Re: Deploying DLL

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Chris,

An ActiveX object can be created in two ways (1) a design-time license; or (2) a run-time license. A design-time license is installed with our installer. The run-time license is normally embedded in your application by your programming environment (a typical case is to embed the control in a dialog).

If you create the object directly, you are creating an object with a design-time license. However, since there is no license file on that machine, the object will fail to create.

You might want to modify your program by placing the control on a dialog/form. And retrieve the object pointer from there to avoid instantiating the object directly. There are also some other workarounds, and we have example code in C++.

http://mdn.morovia.com/manuals/bax3/bax.licensing.php.

Edited by glitch on March 07 2008 at 4:04pm
glitch (legacy member)

Return to Barcode ActiveX Control