Extended code 39 and tabulation

topics related to linear barcode formats such as Code 39, Code128, Interleaved 2 of 5 (ITF25), UCC/EAN-128, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-13, EAN-8, GS1 Databar etc.

Extended code 39 and tabulation

Postby renga_it on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi,
it's about two week that i'm trying to use an extended code 39 barcode to make a login into a website. :(
I'm using a DATALOGIC Gryphon D230-std and the barcode is *Code$I3of9$M*.
I read a lot of article about this but i'm not able to make it working.
I'm pretty that my barcode gun is configured for extended code 39 because if i configure it for the standard 39 the result is /JC+O+D+E/DI3+O+F9/DM/J

Any suggest?
Thanks in advance

Renato
renga_it

Re: Extended code 39 and tabulation

Postby glitch on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Renato,

I do not quite understand what you want to achieve. Do you want the scanner send the TAB key when scanning the barcode?
The information above is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby renga_it on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi, thanks for the answer.
Let me explain well what i want.
I have a web site to manage the maintenance in my plant. My maintenance people must login with username and password in a totem.
I want give a special barcode to every operator to make the login in to the web site. To make this without modifyng the web site i need to pass to the broswer the username then a tabulation charcter then the password and an enter command at the end.
I know that this is possible ma i'm not able to make it.
Thanks
renga_it

Postby glitch on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 pm

The TAB key is not the same as the tab character in the ASCII table.

Some USB scanners send TAB key when encountering a tab character in the barcode. However, this is not required behavior. A control character does not translate into a Windows Key automatically. Look into the manual to see if it supports "functional key mapping". Some scanners do and their manuals list the corresponding ASCII values.

If the scanner does not translate the key, what you can do is to hook the scanner in RS-232 cable and find a "Wedge" program that translates the key. You can find such program by search "Win Wedge" in the search engine.
The information above is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
glitch
Support Engineer

Postby glitch on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

A scanner supporting function key like this:

scanner-manual-support-function-key.png
scanner manual excerpt
glitch
Support Engineer

Return to Linear symbologies