Non-english characters PDF417

PDF417, Data Matrix, Maxicode, QR Code... 2D bar code formats

Non-english characters PDF417

Postby thedave(Legacy Member) on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Is there a way using any of the Morovia PDF417 related products to encode a non-English character set? Specifically, I'm trying to encode Arabic text into a barcode. I have the Unicode character code chart for Arabic, but am unclear whether or not I can encode using these codes. Does anyone have any information on encoding this type of text into a PDF417 barcode?
thedave(Legacy Member)

Re: Non-english characters PDF417

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:22 pm

PDF417 standard has no idea about unicode. The standard defines a feature called Global Label Identification (GLI), which is supposed to sort out mixed language issues. However, it is still single-byte based and requires that the application(or the scanner) handles the translation issue.

If you have the control over both read/write, you might consider a straightforward solution - just treating unicode/arabic characters as binary. Your application handles the translation at both sides.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby thedave(Legacy Member) on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks for the quick answer! Is there an easy way or a utility to transfer these characters into binary format?
thedave(Legacy Member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:07 pm

You do not need any utilities. A unicode value contains two bytes. A value of \ue0c0 is encoded as 0xe0 and 0xc0 in the barcode. Your application takes care of the conversion (back and forth).
glitch (legacy member)

Postby thedave(Legacy Member) on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 pm

I appreciate the help, but I'm having a hard time following. I basically need to take an Arabic input letter (or string of letters) such as ج and encode them into a barcode. According the the Unicode chart I have, the letter ج is assigned Code 062C. Using the PDF417EncoderGUI, how would I be able to do this? I really appreciate any help you can give
thedave(Legacy Member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:36 pm

PDF417 Encoder GUI does not encode Unicode.

What's your plan on the reading side? scanner will not give you Unicode values either. You can only read/write on a single-byte level.
glitch (legacy member)

Return to 2D symbologies