PDF417 adding characters?

PDF417, Data Matrix, Maxicode, QR Code... 2D bar code formats

PDF417 adding characters?

Postby jbonds(Legacy member) on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:57 pm

I created a barcode using crystal reports, printed it out, scanned and read the barcode. The encoded string was:

xpaper1-1

However when I read the barcode, I get a carriage return and a '^' at the end of the string. Has anyone ever seen this before? My other barcodes aren't doing this.

Thanks
jbonds(Legacy member)

Re: PDF417 adding characters?

Postby jbonds(Legacy member) on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:46 pm

Ok, same issue. I've been playing with printing and scanning barcodes using the GUI encoder and different security levels. Below are some examples of the strange barcode reads I'm getting. Anyone have any ideas?

String to Encode security level output
xpaper1-1 7 xpaper1-1}.@
xpaper1-1 5 xpaper1-1<CR>^
1-2-3-4-5-6 8 1-2-3-4-5-6*#
Juan 8 Juan'rxchhnk
Juan 7 Juan72519(}`|
Juan 3 Juan (WORKED!)
Juan 5 Juan:u

So there are some examples of barcodes that aren't quite reading right and one that did read right. Any ideas why this is happening? Do higher security levels append characters or something?
jbonds(Legacy member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:43 am

What is the scanner model you used to read teh barcodes? I just tested with 3 scanners and all returned the correct results. You might want to check the scanner configuration - it seems that your scanner outputs the security codewords after the data.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby jbonds(Legacy member) on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 pm

I'm using a software API to read the barcode not a scanner. I sent them an e-mail and they said they were able to reproduce the problem.

Can you do me a favor? Can you scan the attached image and tell me what it is encoding? I created it using the GUI encoder.

Thanks
jbonds(Legacy member)

Postby benz(Legacy Member) on Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:38 am

Issue closed.

If you have a similiar issue with Morovia PDF417 Fontware, write an email to support@morovia.com with your order number. It seems that PDF417 fontware released between Sep 2004 and Dec 2004 may have this issue.
benz(Legacy Member)

Return to 2D symbologies