Software Solutions

Discussions related to our free online utilities, such as free qr code maker and online barcode generator. Free utilities such as pdf417decode are also supported here.

Font to use?

Postby gattu (legacy member) on Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:14 pm

I am building a software for the eyeglass frames that needs to print UPC barcode labels on very small tags.

My question is: what barcode font should I use in order to print on a small tag (small width) that could be easily read by a barcode reader.

I was thinking of going with EAN-13 or UPC-A but I am not sure..

The barcode digits they have are 12 characters in length. plus they want to support EAN-8 and EAN-13.

WHAT BARCODE FONT WOULD BE BEST TO MEET THESE NEEDS?

Here is what they are asking:

Since the introduction of the 12-digit Universal Product Code (U.P.C.) more than 30 years ago, the use of the EAN.UCC System has expanded rapidly to facilitate global commerce. To meet the need for improving commerce efficiency, the Uniform Code Council, Inc. (UCC) has announced that by January 1, 2005 all U.S. and Canadian companies must be capable of scanning and processing EAN-8 and EAN-13 symbols, in addition to 12-digit U.P.C. symbols, at point-of-sale.
gattu (legacy member)

Re: Font to use?

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:28 pm

The product you are looking for is Moroiva UPC/EAN/Bookland Fontware: http://www.morovia.com/font/ueb.asp

This font package allows you to print UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13 and UPC/EAN supplements.

You can convert a UPC-A number to EAN 13 by adding 0 at the beginning . The checksum digit remains the same.

The UCC regulation basically requires that all retail stores must be able to scan EAN-13 barcodes in addition to the UPC-A by Jan 2005. For historic reasons the POS systems in US supermarkets are built on 12-digit UPC-A and they have diffculty handling a 13-digit input. Some scanner may not even read EAN-13 barcodes.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby gattu (legacy member) on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:18 am

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Here is what I am thinking to implement:

Since the application is designed to be used in Europe, US and Canada it seems like I should use EAN barcode and make all US & Canadian customers upgrade to scanners that support EAN-13.

Most barcode numbers are 12 digits so all I have to do is add 0 in the front.

Will EAN-13 fit in small label tags and able to be read by scanners? .they are really small that go on Spectacle Frames.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance.
gattu (legacy member)

Postby gattu (legacy member) on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:57 am

I verified with the web-utility that the last number is check-digit (generates the same 12th digit)
gattu (legacy member)

Return to Online Utilities and Free Programs