Someone please help!!

PDF417, Data Matrix, Maxicode, QR Code... 2D bar code formats

Someone please help!!

Postby fusion252(Legacy Member) on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:12 pm

Is there a program out there that can convert hex/raw bytes language into the regular english language, and then back to hex/raw bytes?

I decoded 2d PDF417 barcode image and it came up in 2 different "languages": hex and raw bytes. I need to convert those languages into to the english language, and then back to the hex/rawbytes languages.

can anyone help me?
fusion252(Legacy Member)

Re: Someone please help!!

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:35 am

Which tool did you use to decode the barcode image? A scanner or a program? Do those bytes correspond to ASCII character codes? You need tell us for more information.

Edited by glitch on March 15 2007 at 11:36am
glitch (legacy member)

Postby fusion252(Legacy Member) on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:54 pm

I scanned the image to the computer, and used a program called The Swipe Toolkit (http://www.turbulence.org/Works/swipe/main.html) to decode the image. That is all i know about it. I would send you the information that is on the barcode, but it is my personal information and i'd rather not give that out haha.
fusion252(Legacy Member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Likely the private information is encrypted first and encrypted data is coded into barcode. After all, you do not want everyone with a scanner be able to read the private info. So they will reamin illegible unless you find a way to decrypt it.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby fusion252(Legacy Member) on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:50 pm

If it can't be read with a scanner, then how does the scanner in the supermarket read it when teenagers try to buy tobacco and alcohol products? Wouldnt the cashier be able to see the person's personal information?
fusion252(Legacy Member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:12 pm

The barcode can be picked up by the scanner, but what the scanner get is a bunch of raw bytes, not corresponding to any meaningful text. A cachier machine either has a software module installed to decrypt the raw bytes, or it sends the raw bytes into government's computer to get back the information.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby fusion252(Legacy Member) on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:33 am

Ok. Thanks for the help Glitch....much appreciated.
fusion252(Legacy Member)

Return to 2D symbologies