Strange things from the PDF417 font

PDF417, Data Matrix, Maxicode, QR Code... 2D bar code formats

Strange things from the PDF417 font

Postby Loopy(Legacy member) on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:34 am

I'm new to PDF417, and I'm having a problem. I am kind of in a testing phase, and wrote a quick VB application that takes an input string then encodes it for PDF417 using the ActiveX control that was sent with the fontset. I then take the encoded string and plug it into a fillable PDF and drop it into a text field utilizing the PDF417 font. For some reason, the resultant barcode looks very odd. Basically, it takes each line of the bar code and puts at least two carriage returns between them so the bar code is not stacked directly on top of each other into one barcode, but look live several individual barcodes double spaced in a long column. I skipped the middle step and had the VB application create the barcode directly and was met with similar results, except this time it doesn't have any carriage returns, it just strings them all out end to end. Any thoughts?
Loopy(Legacy member)

Re: Strange things from the PDF417 font

Postby glitch(Legacy Member) on Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:22 am

Loopy,

First make sure that you resize the text box to hold a full PDF417 row. If the text box is too small, the line will wrap and extra spaces will be displayed.

If you still see extra blank line between the rows, the text box may not handle the line feed propertly. By default, the encode ActiveX outputs "\r\n" (corresponding to vbCrLf) at the end of each line. Some text box interpreates these two characters as two carriage returns. If that is the case, set LineFeedString property to chr(13), or "\n" only.

object.LineFeedString = chr(13)
glitch(Legacy Member)

Postby Loopy(Legacy member) on Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:47 am

Works great in VB now, but same result in Acrobat
Loopy(Legacy member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:09 am

How do you make the PDF file? We tested with distiller and no problems. Some third party PDF programs may not handle \r\n properly.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby Loopy(Legacy member) on Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:45 pm

Well, first I was just copying the encoded text from the VB app and pasting it into the PDF file. Now, I'm outputting the encoded text to a file and reading it in through a data object in Acrobat. I'm running Acrobat 7 professional.
Loopy(Legacy member)

Postby Loopy(Legacy member) on Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:46 pm

The thing is, it's a fillable PDF, and I enter the data directly into a text field on the PDF, not distilling it.
Loopy(Legacy member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:38 pm

Now I understand. It seems that the internal height of the font needs some modification to accommodate this scenario. I will get back to you once we have a solution.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby Loopy(Legacy member) on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:25 am

Great - thanks!
Loopy(Legacy member)

Postby glitch (legacy member) on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:33 pm

Loopy,

We found the problem cause. Visit the article below to obtain a fix:

http://www.morovia.com/support/article10070.html

Let me know if you have any questions.
glitch (legacy member)

Postby Loopy(Legacy member) on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:46 pm

Excellent - thanks! I'll try it out and let you know what happens. THanks for your quick response on this - you guys are great
Loopy(Legacy member)

Next

Return to 2D symbologies