UPC Number question

topics related to linear barcode formats such as Code 39, Code128, Interleaved 2 of 5 (ITF25), UCC/EAN-128, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-13, EAN-8, GS1 Databar etc.

UPC Number question

Postby SherriL on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:45 pm

I am new to the bar code world and have a few questions.
I have hand made goods that I will be selling on amazon and and other online sores. A upc code is required for every item sent to their fulfillment center. I have been told to get upc codes at GS1.org. These can get expensive if I were to purchase very many. So please explain to me why I would want to purchase these codes if I can get your software and make as many upc's as well as other codes using your software. Are they the same type of code? what is the difference? will they serve the same purpose in the world wide market?

Thank you,

Sherri
SherriL

Re: UPC Number question

Postby glitch on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:59 pm

A UPC number identifies a product item uniquely. GS1 assigns you a company prefix, and you assign the item number to make up a UPC code. GS1 is in a monopoly position in this regard; there is no other work around – to get a company prefix, you have to go with GS1. Right now GS1 is running out of numbers and the company prefix assigned only allows 100 items.

If you are just selling a few items you may consider to purchase numbers from some reseller companies. These companies sell their UPC numbers at low cost over Internet. We do not know how reliable those services are. Moreover some large retailers ask merchants for the proof that you indeed “own” the UPC number. In the latter case, you have to go to GS1.

Once you have the number, you can use our software to create UPC barcode images.

Let me know if you have any questions.
The information above is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
glitch
Support Engineer

Return to Linear symbologies